Adjusting Boost

Seth n9540517 at cc.wwu.edu
Mon Aug 11 03:07:56 GMT 1997

On Sat, 9 Aug 1997, Bibiana Lim wrote:

>  Hi Seth,
>
> Thanks for the warning!
>
> You wrote:
> >Bibie-  you could change the turbo, go to a cam with less overlap.  But
> >for about $800, you could get rid of the lag with a nitrous system.  A
> >very quick shot of 1-2 seconds at full throttle brfore the turbo spins up
> >will give and instant 50 hp or so, and make it shut off as soon as the
>
> Wow...this is going PRO, man! But I just want to do a mod without too
> much investment.
>
> >manifold pressure goes above atmospheric.  Instant power and much faster
> >turbo spool up.  And in most cases, the nitrous in emissions legal, with
> >a CARB exemption sticker.
>
> Yes I agree that going Nitro is one of the quickest way to make the "kick in the
> pants" come quicker. But is it safe...I hear about some near misses. Maybe I'm
> wrong.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bibie

Depends on what you mean by "safe"  I was under the impression that you
wanted the boost, or power to come in earlier.  The A?R of the turbo can
be changed, maybe a cam...  The turbo motor should be able to cope with a
50 hp nitrous hit quite well.. if you use individual port foggers, and
make sure that there is no nitrous under boost.  Not even a little
boost.  Just make sure it quits as the pressure goes above atmospheric.
I don't claim to be an expert, but someone I know has such a system on an
old 280zx turbo.  He has a larger, slower spooling turbo than stock.  The
nitrous helps, but he has the old style single fogger nitrous, and there
is a delay in getting the nitrous into the engine.  I goes from a intake
pipe, thru the turbo, then into the intake tract, then the engine.  So he
has "nitrous lag".  He wants to try a port injected style system.  I can
attest to the power of the car, even with this setup.  Does the best
burnouts I can recall.

Seth