Disable VATS

Joe Boucher jboucher at startext.net
Mon Aug 11 04:14:04 GMT 1997

At 10:00 AM 8/8/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>Date:    Thu, 7 Aug 1997 13:48:43 -0400
>>From:    David Goodhue <dgoodhue at LYNX.DAC.NEU.EDU>
>>Subject: How can I disable Vats?
>>
>>My friend just bought a totalled 92 Z28 60K miles 350, (for $300).
>>The drivetrain was not hurt in the accident.  The kid who he bought
>>it off of, lost the keys to it (probally had to do with drinking and
>>driving).  My friend would like to part the car out.  Before he pulls
>>the engine he would like to video tape the motor running, but he doesn't
>>know if their is an easy way to bypass the VATS. Any susgestions?
>>
>>Dave
>>86 Conv.
>
>The cheapest way is get a 555 timer and clock it at a 50% duty cycle for
>the PCM VATS terminal to ground.

The following quote is from the description of how a person stuffed a '94
3800 into a Fiero:

Pass Key theft deterrent must be by-passed. I had the ignition key and
could therefore measure the resistance of the pellet. A
10 turn pot was matched to this and soldered to the inputs of the stock
Pass Key module which will feed a 50 hz "ok" signal to
the PCM. A more elegant solution of a 50 hz wave generator is suggested but
mine works.

Tom explaination is a bit above me.  I know what a 555 chip is but I don't
know how to do what he suggested.  Could you get a variable resistor, hook
a digital voltmeter to the output of the VATS and change the resitance with
the potentiometer till you get an output from the VATS?  That would give
the resistance you need.

A brute force method but it might work.

Joe Boucher
'81 TBI Suburban   '70 RS/SS Camaro