Too good to let go by

steve ravet steve at sun4c409.imes.com
Mon Aug 11 20:21:33 GMT 1997

> I know a heavy duty mechanic in charge of the mechanical shop at a
> mill that thinks installing a magnetron out of a conventional oven
> into the manifold will "energize" the gas charge and produce smaller
> droplets resulting in greatly improved efficiency.

Let him work on the oven for a few days, then when he's frustrated
tell him that's it's easier to find magnetrons in microwave ovens than
conventional ovens.

ha ha, just a joke... :-)

> Has nobody ever heard of volumetric efficiency? If you "vibrate"
> something hard enough, it gets hot, hence micro-wave ovens work.
> Unfortunately, hot + manifold charge = expansion of the mixture, and
> less of a charge per volume of intake stroke. It's the same as
> taking your foot off the gas.

Well sure, but what about a turbo or supercharger to force the
original amount of air back in?  sounds like you might have a more
efficient engine.  The Miller cycle engine makes the power
decompression stroke longer than the compression stroke by
intentionally leaving the intake open during part of the compression
stroke.  That burns less fuel and produces less power, but the engine
is more efficient overall.  Add a little forced induction to bring
power levels back up and you are making original power on less gas.
Mazda put an engine like that into the 929, don't know if they still
are or not.

just fuel for the fire...

--steve