knock spectra

Todd King Todd_King at ccm2.jf.intel.com
Mon Aug 11 21:05:28 GMT 1997

     I've been having some false knock problems lately with my car and am
     trying to find some research papers or similar that discusses/shows
     the spectral signature of a "typical" knock event. I think that
     detonation usually shows spikes at about 6KHz (and maybe 13KHz)?
     Anyone know where to find useful data on the GM knock sensor of the
     late 80's? I mean the sensor itself, but related info on the
     processing module is welcome too. Thanks for any leads. I finally got
     the car back together ('87 turbo Regal) a few weeks ago with a decent
     set of ported production heads, 50lb MSD injectors and a shift
     kit/converter. Turbo is still too small, intercooler is still
     inadequate, car is still "heavy", and it was way off on the cal (pig
     rich, with over 1000mv seen on the O2), but that's sort of expected
     when you pull into the staging lanes for your first pass a week after
     reassembly and you haven't even gotten a full wot test blast out of it
     yet, or set the boost. It went a 12.2x at near 113mph (yuk- too much
     fuel and timing retard...) with an awful 2 sec 60' time, through the
     muffs. It was bogging hard out of the hole, and the knock detector was
     beeping for most of the run (pulling timing- and power), even with
     "low" boost and a tank full of C16. Fuel system fell on its face at
     the top of 3rd too; not enough pump. It still needs cal work and is
     currently way off performance-wise, but it'll get there eventually,
     just needs patience... Hope the knock detector problem is not too hard
     to sort out; I think that the new set of T&D roller rockers are the
     lion's share of the problem (they're fairly "loud") but there is
     something else amiss too. Others use these w/o problem though, but my
     set required notching for pushrod clearance at lift as well as valve
     cover grinding since they were hitting those too. Anyway I have a new
     "windy" turbo ;-) on the way plus mondo front mount intercooler that
     should liven things up a bit. Wish UPS would settle the strike as the
     parts are currently off in the ozone somewhere... :-( I too can vouch
     for the "Max Boost" book from BEGI; it's cheap and pretty good IMO.

     Todd       tking at scic.intel.com