fuel filter location

Stuart Baly S.Baly at BoM.GOV.AU
Tue Aug 12 00:50:47 GMT 1997

Simon wrote:
>This is what I have found out about installing your own efi.....

>1) the fuel pump needs to be as clost to the tank as possible.
>2) In line filters can go any where.
>3) the Fuel pressor regulator has to be on the fuel rail.
>4) the return fromthe regulator needs to go back to the tank.
>5) a surge tank is a VERY good idea when using a std fuel tank.

I'll be installing my own system on my Datsun 1600 soon, and this is
the setup I'm planning to use:
The standard fuel line enters the engine bay right up the front on
the drivers side. I plan to take the output from the standard
mechanical fuel pump to a surge tank at the front drivers side of the
engine bay. The EFI pump will be mounted next to the surge tank, and
the return line will go back to the surge tank. The part of the
engine bay where the tank/pump goes is fairly unaffected by engine
heat. If vaporisation is a problem, I'll extend the return line back
and forth in front of the radiator a couple of times. The only other
problem might be that the return line will be under pressure - the
standard fuel pump will keep the surge tank/return line at about 3-4
psi.

Any comments/suggestions?

Stuart.
Stuart Baly (s.baly at bom.gov.au)
Technical Officer
Cape Grim Baseline Air Pollution Station
'71 Datsun 510, '81 Yamaha RD350LC, '89 Kawasaki GPz900R