Where are the new concepts going to come from if this is the best there is?

Michael McBroom bodhi at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 12 07:12:31 GMT 1997

Terry Martin wrote:

> Fuel injection is one of those concepts that make you go DOUGH! However,
> fuel injection is exactly that, a homer. What to do for an encore?
> Clearly hydrocarbons can not be used even until my kids lifetimes, as a
> primary energy source. The entire concept is heat related, and I wonder
> what we would have now, if the restraints of the global system were
> imposed upon the development of new systems. Obviously, hydrocarbons are
> not only limited, but lethal.
>
> It is a function of the universe that sentience = development. Is fuel
> injection the answer to our requirements for travel? I suspect so, as it
> reduces the fuel comsumption to discrete packets, rather than analog
> estimates.
>
> Are hydrocarbons the most efficient fuel? Given our predisposition of
> arriving at the worst answer first, by gross generalizations, I suspect
> not. Logic even predicts not, by Okham's (Occam's) Razor.
>
> What assumptions must be made for an emerging industrialized society to
> accidently come across the most efficient fuel and systems within the
> lifetimes of the original inventors? Lots. And that logically means it's
> improbable.
>
> With fuel injection as our best guess for volumetric efficiency, I would
> bet that other technologies will overlap, and reduce or eliminate
> altogether a costly, inefficient, and wasteful source of energy. When
> electronics, by virue of theoretical physics determines that water (for
> instance) contains the accesible ingredients for 100% recycleable
> energy, a lot of oil wells are going to be abandoned or integrarted
> (most likely).
>
> (Now I should start a web site devoted to why not???)
>
> Terry Martin

Ever wish your email software had an [Unmail] key?  Boy, I sure do right
about now.  My sincerest apologies to Terry.  It took a second,
non-cursory read through his post to realize that he was not somebody
from the "100mpg carburetor planet," which I had mistaken him for.  I
guess I would have known if I weren't also a relative newcomer here.

--
Best,

Michael McBroom

'87 745T 123k w/APC                 Visit the Volvo Performance Site:
'88 765T 156k                           http://mcbrooms.com/volvo

Graduate Student, Linguistics                         Author of
Research Interest: Biological Origins       =McBroom's Camera Bluebook=
of Language                                     http://mcbrooms.com
California State University, Fullerton