fuel filter location

Stephen Lamb lambs at HOTBLK.dsto.defence.gov.au
Tue Aug 12 07:35:11 GMT 1997

>> You say the reg "has" to be on the rail.
>> Why would that be?
>
>I've been told that on or as close to the rail as possible is best as
>you want to keep the pressure at the rail/injectors constant so that
>the fuel mix is consistent. The further it's away from the rail the
>more inconsistent the pressure will be due to flexing rubber lines,
>pump serges, warm days, phase of the moon etc...

According to MOTEC the reg should be mounted on the rail  as close as
feasible to the last injector to be 'fed'.  So if you have, say, 6
injectors fed from a single rail, fuel inlet to the rail would be near #1
injector, and the regulator would be mounted near #6 (or vice versa).
This allows a continuous flow of fuel and minimises any chance of vapour
lock.   This is NOT to say that other arrangements won't work, it's just
their 'preferred' method.    With my injected 260Z I have a remotely
mounted reg. simply because my manifold arrangement doesn't allow easy
fitting of a rail, let alone a regulator, but I've encountered no fuel
supply problems so perhaps its not that critical.

Cheers

Stephen Lamb
Dept. of Defence DSTO, AMRL
506 Lorimer Street