Reality of Fuel Consumption

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com
Tue Aug 12 19:27:08 GMT 1997

>> Thank you for that, Terry.  Now go away.  And start practicing what you
>> preach from now on.  Pedal your blinkety-blink bicycle to work.

Up until now, I was going to stay out of the slander <G>.

While that particular website and owner of said site (100MPG Carbeurators)
might be full of horse-bunk, just keep in mind several things.

1. Until Columbus, the world was flat, not round.
2. In 1890's, the first gasoline engine rotated (where did that leave the
horses?)
3. In the early 1900's Kitty Hawk flew.  After 100 years of really bad
designs.
4. Certain purpose-built automobiles have broken the 300MPH bracket.
5. Stealth fighers exist. (we think).
6. Helicopters can fly straight up, with the rotor assembly held on by a
single grade 5 aircraft nut. (okay, a big one)
7. Submarines exist.
8. We've been to the moon.  Several times.
9. We have color Kodak's of Venus, Jupiter, and continue to send trash into
space.
10. Atomic energy actually works.  Atoms also aren't the smallest thing
we've seen (quarks <G>).

I could bore everyone with a long list of things that 20 years before each
thing occured in history, the vast majority of the population at that time
said "bullshit".

And while we don't have 100MPG cars, the technology is right around the
corner.  Advanced materials are constantly being developed, new ideas form,
people think.  The Wankel engine was a fantastic example of a new idea.  No
pistons.  Piston engines have been around since 1903.  Its 1997.  Its time
for a new idea folks.

Cheers :)
Frederic Breitwieser
Homebrew Automotive Mailing List