Reality of Fuel Consumption

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Wed Aug 13 16:31:21 GMT 1997

>Insert retraction

   wait  ....  I don't think Fred wrote the first part ...

>> Up until now, I was going to stay out of the slander <G>.
>>
>> While that particular website and owner of said site (100MPG Carbeurators)
>> might be full of horse-bunk, just keep in mind several things...
>
>Exactly my point, for anybody that didn't just dump on me without
>reading what I actually wrote. Fuel
>injection is the most probable means to breach the hurdle of
>hydro-carbon fueled piston engine machines. Carburetors have out lived
>their usefulness, and EFI provides the technology necessary to bring in
>a replacement without disrupting the capitalist structure within which
>all of this has to work. I, by the way, am an unabashed self-employed
>capitalist.

let me try to get this back onto efi  .... I doubt there's anyone
this list that would disagree with your point.  Unfortunately,
the carb is still the easiest, cheapest and quickest to make
go-power.  There is no reason I can see that an efi system
cannot be made to be MUCH more generic than a carb -- and
even as inexpensive -- except for the lack of volume to bring
down the costs.

I think it was George on this list (mebbe I'm wrong) that
seemed to share my feelings on this .... I'd think a TBI
(or CPI, as Ford calls it) with MAF would be the "end-all
to be-all".  I know of no one who's done this, but it would
allow the use of current carb intake manifolds, and would
be self-adjusting.  I know that the window for this is small,
only encompassing pre-efi cars, but there's still lots
of them out there that probably would convert if the price
were right -- esp if they could have the economy and reliability
of efi with the big PLUS of better emissions control.

Tom Cloud