TPI Questions

James Boughton boughton at bignet.net
Thu Aug 14 13:48:09 GMT 1997

Jeff,
	It wouldn't surprise me if the EGR wouldn't work if you
ground the P/N switch since this usually is a signal to the ECM
that the car is idling.  EGR is not used at idle due the desire to
have good idle quality and EGR tends to increase the variation
in combustion to the point that the driver can feel it.  Also, as
mentioned regarding large cams, the residual fraction at idle is
quite large anyhow.

You shouldn't have to change any of the calibration since the
ECM is not turning on the EGR and it knows this.  Since the
ECM is aware that it is not using EGR it should never attempt
to correct for it.  I am not sure what the effects will be of driving
the car with the engine controller always thinking you are at idle
will be however.  It is possible that it is no problem, then again...

Jim Boughton
boughton at bignet.net