Anti-turbo lag systems

MaxBoost at aol.com MaxBoost at aol.com
Fri Aug 15 04:10:19 GMT 1997

<< >EFI sortof.  Just this morning while I was taking a Clinton and
conjugating
 >my navel, I came up with about the same thought.  Try this ---
 >
 >To "spool" up a turbo, deterministically drop SPARK to certain cylinders
 >and burn the mixture in the exhaust. Maybe all it would take is dropping
 >a single cylinder every other revolution to quickly spool up and then stop
 >dropping cylinders.  Would shure beat all the gimmicky stuff - specially
 >if your EFI included a Rev Limiter that limits by "randomly" dropping spark

Actually, I have tried this using an MSD 2 step wired to the clutch switch.
 The rpm limit with the clutch disengauged is 3500 and with it engauged it is
7000.  The effect is at the line with the clutch disengauged  and the
throttle wide open I would get about 7-8 psi boost just sitting there.  It
definately helped with the 60 ft time.  I read about the idea in an old Dave
Vizard book on 2.0 ford engines.

I am hoping to try an increase the amount of boost acheived at the line with
an MT.  I guess I'm jealous of the grand nationals being able to spool the
turbo on the line against the torque converter and launch under boost.

Thanks to everyone that has posted so far.

Max