injectors: dimensions and types;

Rich Mauruschat richm at sykes.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 22 11:05:20 GMT 1997

Kerrie,
How much detailed dimensional injector info. do you need? I have a scale
drawing which I produced for my own purposes (to build throttle bodies/fuel
rail/modify inlet manifold) which I could easily dimension. The drawing is
generated from my own measurements but I think it's pretty accurate.
The injectors from the V6 are probably 'disc' nozzle type as opposed to
pintle nozzle; they are supposed to provide better atomisation and more
significantly, are more resistant to gum build-up in the nozzle which is
especially aggravated by unleaded fuel.

The only fitment of disc nozzle injectors that I know of personally is on
late model Range Rover, 3.9L/4.6L V8 in the UK, 4.0L V8 in the US. These
have the appearance of having 4 nozzles set into a large metal ring. I'm not
sure what the spray pattern looks like compared with a pintle nozzle -
anyone have any comments here?
There are instances of injectors used on 4-valve heads which deliberately
spray 2 jets in an effort to direct the fuel onto the inlet valves, either
side of the port split.

Brad Sheridan also asks about disc injectors; Brad,  I would be interested
in your findings on the subject of pintle/disc nozzle comparisons.

Cheers
Rich.