For REALLY good injection, check this out

Corey L. Cole corey.l.cole at boeing.com
Sat Aug 23 17:16:31 GMT 1997

Terry Martin wrote:
> I'd better mention really good injectors here or I'll be hissed at. :-)
> I still think compressing part of the air charge into the injector
> stream is an idea with merit. It would act the same as anything else
> when decompressed (injected), and cool the combustion chamber. If it was
> done just at the overlap point of exhaust and intake, the cylinder would
> not heat the intake charge as much by virtue of residual heat from the
> power stroke (exhaust), and would increase the volumetric efficiency of
> the engine. It would also serve to better atomize the injector stream.
> No?
>
> Terry

How about combining EGR with the compressed air?  You wouldn't get the
benefit of cooling quite so much, but at most settings you could use "free"
exhaust gas and keep the load off of whatever compressor is adding air.

Then, as throttle increases, you add less and less EGR into the injector.

I can see some problems with hot gases and combustible fluids, but who knows,
there might be some way around it...

As far as adding straight air, sounds good.  You could go direct injection and
get real small droplets for complete combustion.  Hmmm,  I think I can drill
a 9/16 hole right here in my cylinder head :)

Corey L. Cole                     | I was standing on the side of the road,
 M/S 19-HH                        |   rain falling on my shoe.
 E-mail: corey.l.cole at boeing.com  | I was heading for the east coast,
 Phone: 206-662-3596              |   Lord knows I've paid some dues.