Oxygenates

Jeremy Fleming jeremy at dtc.net
Fri Aug 29 07:38:39 GMT 1997

On 28-Aug-97, dzorde wrote:
>I think this was covered several months ago.  The conclusion was that
>hydrogen peroxide is very corrosive and will eat the inside of everything it
>runs through.  Can anyone elaborate on this.

>Dan     dzorde at geocities.com

>>   Someone had mentioned using Hydrogen Peroxide as an oxygen-adding
>>compound in a gasoline engine...what is the plausibility of this?  I know
>>that Nitrous would be much more potent, but would a peroxide-injection
>>system be worth looking into?

Well, I wasn't in on the original discussion, but I did just go
through the Kansas Cosmosphere, and they had an exhibit on the the
first rocket powered plane, the Me162 Komet (think I have the model
right).  It used nearly pure hydrogen peroxide as the oxidizer for the
rocket motor.  Due to the corrosive nature (and instability) of the
peroxide this was an extremely dangerous plane to refuel, let alone
fly.  Seems that pure hydrogen peroxide produces horrible chemical
burns, in addition to being explosive.

Not A Good Thing in a moving vehicle.

Jeremy

jeremy at dtc.net