injector bosses

James Weiler james at brc.ubc.ca
Sat Aug 30 05:16:20 GMT 1997

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Seth wrote:

> I deal with room temp cure epoxies pretty much all day ( lots of carbon
> fiber lamination and bonding)  that stuff is the nasty aliphatic amine

That's so cool.  Carbon fibre is something I'd like to learn how to work
with.  Are there any books/manuals that can get me started?  Where do you
get your supplies from or is this at your place of work?

> I might suggest a urethane adhesive, they often have higher sevice temps,
> gap fill better and adhere better than epoxies.  They also can emit
> di-isocyanates, so you want to be a bit careful.  But the stuff works
> where epoxy won't.
Does a charcoal filter mask remove isocyanates?  I don't think it does, I
think you need a breathing aparatus (i.e. air line).  Nasty stuff.  I
kinda like the epoxy idea a bit better.

> Personally, I weld if I can, but I am a welder at heart, and I like the
> look of a nice bead.

Ditto, but I don't have the skills to weld aluminum or the capacity to keep
the intake from warping.  But I could ship you a manifold and a bunch of
bosses.  :)

thanks for the advice
jw