DIY injector cleaning

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Thu Dec 4 07:51:30 GMT 1997

Scott Linder wrote:

> Andris Skulte wrote:
>
> > Scott Linder wrote:

<snip>

>  Andris,
> i guess the answer was NO there isnt a GOOD way for the DIY to clean injectors other than a additive in
> the tank.
>

> Jimm L.
> the injector " guru"

  Well, I'd like an expert's opinion, but we've been using a machine which circulates a solution of
gasoline and cleaner through the injectorsand fuel rails while they are on the vehicle.  It's called
Motorvac, and it's made by Sun Equipment.  The point of the machine is to remove carbon from the engine but
I have seen visible improvements in GM TBI spray patterns, and Ford port setups respond really well.

The cleaning solution is so similar to GM's Top Engine Cleaner that we've used the GM stuff pretty
interchangeably.  Shouldn't be too hard to rig up a tank, pump, supply and return lines and let this stuff
circulate for a while.  If you could fire the injector(s) the solution could flow through them for a while,
and after that I'd replace the filters and O rings.

Shannen