Ignition question

bruce plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sat Dec 6 19:25:55 GMT 1997

This may sound really dumb, but I gotta ask.  In a CD ignition system
they "dump" a 1 MFD. cap (at 200-300v) thru the primary side of the coil.
The reason I was told DC is to begin the arc at the plug on a specific
electrode.  In a distributorless ignition it looks like it doesn't
matter.  So why not just pulse the CD charge transformer thru the ign.
coil for say a little over a millisecond.  If the answer causes smoke
just e-mail me, and I'll put my hand down.
  TIA Bruce  nacelp at bright.net