Fuel pump questions

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com
Tue Dec 9 16:50:05 GMT 1997

> As for sparking: I have the same question.
> That's a brush-type motor in the tank! What if
> fuel level is at min, and the motor brushes are exposed?

The sparks are of a different league versus a spark plug... the voltage is
less, and the spark is not not enough to ignite the gasoline, in a sealed,
closed environment such as a gas tank.  The in-tank fuel pumps are sealed
as to prevent the armature from being saturated with gasoline, through
o-rings, grommets, and the sheathing.  The mixture in the tank actually is
saturated enough to resist explosions.

Gasoline also doesn't conduct electricity well, if at all, so exposed leads
in the tank is not a problem, as electrolosis doesn't occur the same way it
would with water.

However, torch off the tank straps with a oxy-acetyline torch and that's an
entirely different story. <big grin>

Frederic Breitwieser
Homebrew Automotive Mailing List
Bridgeport, CT 06606