Fuel pump questions

Gordon McKenzie gmcken at direct.ca
Tue Dec 9 20:01:59 GMT 1997

Squash wrote:

> > The return line pressure is based on the vertical distance the fuel
> > is pumped, not the weight of fuel in the tank.  So there would be
> > more pressure if the fuel were returned to the top of the tank .
> > Most gas tanks are lower than the high point of the system so the
> > return line is down hill.
> >
> > Bob McKnight phx az
>
> So you mean to tell me that you can just as easily pump water up a 3/8"
> pipe 75' straight up and into the bottom of a water tower and that 3/8"
> line will have LESS pressure on it than the same line going to the top
> of the water tower and dripping in through the top?  I've been wrong
> before, but I really don't think this is right.

But your not pumping the fluid up the pipe. As long as the start of the
return hose is above the top of the tank, your going downhill either
way. The difference seems to me that if you plumb into the bottom of the
tank, part of your return hose will always be full of gas but only to
the same level as the tank.

> --
> Andy Quaas
> p.s. !!!!NO FLAMES INTENDED!!!!

Never have flames when discussing fuel issues. You really don't want
things to blow up in you face, now do you?

--
Gord, Sue & Countess McKenzie