Fuel pump questions

Mark Eidson Mark_Eidson at ccm.ch.intel.com
Tue Dec 9 20:28:56 GMT 1997

Text item:

Here is another way to look at it:

The closed loop system is like a siphon.  There is no flow between reservoirs
with fluid at the same height no matter where the siphon lines are in the
respective reservoirs.  If both lines are submerged in the same tank no flow
will occur unless the pump moves the fuel because the difference in height of
the lines equals the difference in height of the fuel.  If the return is above
the fuel the pump has to do the additional work to move the fuel to the higher
level which then falls into the tank dissipating that energy.  When the pump
stops the fuel will partially run back into the tank thru both lines from the
highest point in the system if there is no check valve.  If there is a check
valve then the fuel in the return line may eventually partially drain back into
the tank from the highest point as vapor enters the system thru the exposed
return line.

me