Fuel pressure regulators, was Re: Fuel pump questions

bruce plecan nacelp at bright.net
Thu Dec 11 04:44:31 GMT 1997

IMHO, the fuel pressure regulator should be between the last injector,
and the return line.  The injectors are a instant on+off device, and
can cause surging in the line, so you'd want it after this pulsing.I'd
rather have the volume of fuel in the pressure line line help dampen
this, having the regulator between the pressure line and the regulators
would restrict how fast they refill do to it's slight restriction.
In my application the injectors are 12" apart (two 90#/hr), the regulator
worked best "cenetered between them".  The OEM set-up had a pressure
regulator, by one injector, and an accumulator in the other, and they
were in series, IMHO garbage.  Of course this is just what worked for me
in my TBI setup.  I tried having the regulator on the pressure line side
of the injctors, and then with very small orfices in the injector heads
to purge the air.  Wound up with a hesiation.
                                                        press
                                                        reg
                                                             return

       Fuel Pump   /  \                  fuelpump       / \       !
                 OinjectO                             Oinj  O     !
                    O fuel pressure reg                  O--------!
                    |                                   restritor+
                    |return line                        purge lines
HTH  Bruce