Fuel resivoir/tank baffles

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Fri Dec 12 05:58:22 GMT 1997

Squash wrote:

> What has everyone done to reduce the problems with fuel slosh in the gas
> tank and starving the pump?  I have an in-line pump that sucks from the
> top of my gas tank.  I was thinking of cutting the top/bottom off of a
> metal coffee can and fastening it to the sending unit, positioned so
> that the bottom of the can is very near to the bottom of the tank (of
> not touching it).  I guess i would have to drill some holes in the lower
> portion of the can to allow fuel in, also.  I can see this happening:  I
> go do some hard 4-wheeling in my truck and with less than 1/4 of a tank
> of gas and heavy pressure on the accelerator pedal.  Then the fuel pump
> is momentarily starved, sending air to the engine, leaning out and
> back-firing.  Eeeeouch.  So basically, what has GM or Ford done with
> this?
> --
> Andy Quaas

  GM has some pretty fancy baffles.  What is your truck?  Is there a similar
body style with FI available?

I've been considering the coffee can thing too.  If your return line is
close to the pickup line insid the tank (stock gm setup is) then I think
that two or three 1/2" dia holes should work.  Let me know if you try.

Shannen