crank fuse

Carmine carmine at ibmoto.com
Fri Dec 12 19:02:24 GMT 1997

---- "Andrew F. Gunnesch" <afgun at mongoose.dearborn.sgi.com> writes:

 I know that on the later 3rd gen fbodies, even carbeurated, they had
 electric fuel pumps.  You may have an electric fuel pump in your car
 as well.  If you have a mechanical pump, it will be attached to the
 front on the motor on the passenger side, in which case it's probably
 not a fuel pump relay :)

 On Dec 12,  9:40am, Carmine wrote:
 > Subject: Re: crank fuse
 > >Sounds like the coil on the fuel pump relay is bad (shorted).  Pull the
 > >relay and measure the impedance on the coil.  Most 12V automotive relays
 > >are about 80 to 90 ohms.  You might also swap the relay with another
 > >just like it if your car has more than one of that type.  Also could be
 > >a shorted wire in the harness.
 >
 > I don't understand.  How can I have a fuel pump relay if it's not a EFI
 > engine.
 >
 > >Good luck,
 > >
 > >Mark Fabiny (87 GTA)
 > >
 > >Carmine Nicoletta wrote:
 > >>
 > >> I have a CRANK FUSE (3Amps) that keeps blowing. The wiring diagrams show
 this
 > >> fuse go to a fuel pump relay, but I don't have a EFI engine. It's
 carburated.
 > >> It seems to blow after the engine starts. The car is a 84 Pontiac TA. The
 > >> engine VIN code is G (V8 5L 4bbl). Sorry if this isn't diy_efi related.
 Thanks.

 > Carmine
 >-- End of excerpt from Carmine

---- end of included message ----

I do have a mechanical fuel pump, and it's attached to the right side of the
engine block.  But, the manual's electical wiring do show a fuel pump relay
going to that fuse.  This is what I'm tryng to figure out.

Carmine