2.8L/3.1L AND 3.8L FWD same bellhousing pattern?

Sketch sketch at r34h11.res.gatech.edu
Sun Dec 14 19:09:50 GMT 1997

> I thought exactly the same thing, but a guy that does Quad 4 swaps said he
> ran into that problem. The bolt patterns were different. I am assuming that
> he is right. Maybe someone can nail this down for me. I'm using an Isuzu 5
> speed right now. Works fine, but the gears are too low. From 6500, I drop
> to 4000 which puts me too far into the torque curve. The Getrag would drop
> me into about 3200 from 2nd to 3rd. If made a big difference in a friend's
> Fiero.

Yes, the Quad 4 does have a different bolt pattern.  If you use a Quad 4,
you will need the Getrag 5-speed or automatic that came with it (or
another one).  All of the other GM L4/V6 FWD's use the same bolt pattern.
(I think the NorthStar might, as well?)  I don't think the BOP/Chevy bolt
pattern thing holds much weight as far as FWD goes, I think it's all just
"GM".

> I considered the Q4, but the HO's are hard to find. The Buick has the
> problem of never being mated to a manual tranny. They check that in
> California (if they decide to look, that can bounce the swap.) I've been
> over it extensively with CARB.

Actually, the Buick _IS_ mated to a manual tranny - in the 95+ F-bodies.
They use a RWD Series II 3800, rated at 200hp.  (5hp less than the FWD?)

As someone else posted, you will need to make your own flywheel anyway,
and the web page he listed will tell you how.  It also mentions that the
RWD flywhel is too thick, but could probably be machined down to fit.

BTW, there's some info on various Fiero engine swaps on my web page (see
below) which might be interesting to you.  :)

C'ya    |  86 Fiero SE 2m6 4-speed  |  Space Coast Fieros
Sketch  |  Daytona Beach, FL        |  Florida Fiero Council

Florida Fiero Council & Online Service Guide:
http://apollo.pacificweb.net/~sketch/