2.8L/3.1L AND 3.8L FWD same bellhousing pattern?

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com
Sun Dec 14 19:52:44 GMT 1997

>Actually, the Buick _IS_ mated to a manual tranny - in the 95+ F-bodies.
>They use a RWD Series II 3800, rated at 200hp.  (5hp less than the FWD?)

Yes, however the bell housing is different than the FWD block, I'm pretty
sure of that.

>As someone else posted, you will need to make your own flywheel anyway,
>and the web page he listed will tell you how.  It also mentions that the
>RWD flywhel is too thick, but could probably be machined down to fit.

As previously posted, I found making a flywheel "disc" and bolting it to
the flexplate was the absolute easiest method of making a flywheel.  Just
make sure you bolt the torque converter bolts as well as the crank bolts
through the flywheel, thus ensuring its a strong, wobble-free system.  I
made such a flywheel here and it works really well.

Cheers,
Frederic Breitwieser
Homebrew Automotive
Bridgeport, CT 06606