2.8L/3.1L AND 3.8L FWD same bellhousing pattern?

Ludis Langens ludis at netcom.com
Sun Dec 14 21:09:27 GMT 1997

Frederic Breitwieser <frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com> wrote:
>In regards to FWD non-8 cyl engines, its a rule of thumb Buick and Pontiac
>have the same bolt patterns (match each other) and Chevy and Olds are the
>same (match each other as well).

I don't think so...  Remember, the FWD cars are all from an era of GM
"corporate" engines and vehicle platforms.  All the four brands (plus the
Cadillac Cimarron) match each other.

>This is why a 3.8L, 3800 Gen I or Gen II fits so nicely into a Fiero -
>Buick into Pontiac.

The 2.8 V6 used in a Fiero is a Chevy engine.

Terry <terryk at foothill.net> wrote:
>I considered the Q4, but the HO's are hard to find. The Buick has the
>problem of never being mated to a manual tranny. They check that in
>California (if they decide to look, that can bounce the swap.) I've been
>over it extensively with CARB.

I've seen mention of a RWD Buick 3.8 mated to a stick in something like a
Camaro.  You can't use the flywheel on a FWD 3.8 (the engine balance is
different).  But, you might be able to use the ECM and PROM from it to
please the CARBies.

>What's BOP?

BuickOldsPontiac.

                   unsigned long BinToBCD(unsigned long i) {unsigned long t;
Ludis Langens         return i ? (t = BinToBCD(i >> 1), (t << 1) + (i & 1) +
ludis at netcom.com                 (t + 858993459 >> 2 & 572662306) * 3) : 0;}