2.8L/3.1L AND 3.8L FWD same bellhousing pattern?

Sketch sketch at r34h11.res.gatech.edu
Mon Dec 15 02:12:00 GMT 1997

> The 3.4L pushrod is starting to have possibilities. And they wouldn't need
> to know.
>
> So anyone have a 3.4L FWD pushrod block?

There's a fun one.  We went through this on the Fiero-list a while back.
:)

The only pushrod FWD 3.4L engine is the one in the new minivans, which is
apparently Gen III V6/60.  Which means the block is the same (with the
exception of larger cylinder bores/extra strengthening) as your 2.8 block.
Everything else is different.  So to do a totally "stealth" conversion,
you'll need a FWD 3.4 block, and a set of RWD 3.4 heads, pistons, lifters,
pushrods, and possibly camshaft.  The crankshaft should be the same on
both.  You can then bolt your intake manifold and the rest of your
existing parts on top.

If you don't care if it looks original or not, I'd expect it would be
relatively easy to swap it in as is, if you get all of the accessories
with it.  The Fiero people just don't want to do it that way because they
don't want to lose their fancy red valve covers and plenum.  :)

C'ya    |  Gold '86 SE 2m6 4-speed  |  Space Coast Fieros
Sketch  |  Daytona Beach, FL        |  Florida Fiero Council

Florida Fiero Council & Online Service Guide:
http://apollo.pacificweb.net/~sketch/