2.8L/3.1L AND 3.8L FWD same bellhousing pattern?

Gary Derian gderian at cybergate.net
Mon Dec 15 20:49:24 GMT 1997

I know as fact that for the old RWD engines there were two bellhousing
patterns: Chevy and Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Cadillac.  The Buick GN used the
RWD BOPC bellhousing pattern.

I believe that all FWD GM cars use the same pattern which is different than
either RWD pattern.  RWD vehicles such as the Camaro and S-10 used the 2.8
V6, originally designed for FWD, use the FWD bellhousing pattern with RWD.

I don't know what the new Camaro with the 3800 uses but I suspect it has the
FWD pattern since the 3800 is way different than the GN style engine.

Therefore wouldn't any FWD GM engine fit any FWD transmission?

Gary Derian <gderian at cybergate.net>