BOP

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Tue Dec 16 00:33:18 GMT 1997

Joe Boucher wrote:

> > In regards to FWD non-8 cyl engines, its a rule of thumb Buick and Pontiac
> > have the same bolt patterns (match each other) and Chevy and Olds are the
> > same (match each other as well).
> >

> Mr. Breitwieser,
>
> I'm going to have to disagree with you.  It isn't related to EFI, but I
> gotta.
>
> The Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac (BOP) rear wheel drive, transmission to
> engine bolt pattern is shared by Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac and
> Cadillac.  Chevy small block and big blocks are the loaners in this
> regard.  The RWD Chevy 2.8 and 4.3 V-6's are BOP.
>
> I don't have a clue about FWD tranny's.  But GM is such an homogenized
> corporation, I would have bet big money that ALL domestically developed
> FWD tranny's shared the same bolt pattern.  There was a company that
> made an adapter to mate the Quad to RWD tranny's.  No info in my brain
> on whether it had a unique bolt pattern.
>
> Joe Boucher
> '70 RS/SS Camaro  '81 TBI Suburban

  Here's a monkey wrench for the works.  Cadillac used their own bolt pattern
until the late 60's or maybe 1970.  2.5l RWD engine and 2.8l RWD engines used in
S10 pickups have "metric" bolt patterns.  Just try to bolt up a 700r4 trans from
a 2.8 to a 350.  All Chevy built engines from roughly 1955 used same bolt
pattern.  4,6,and 8 cyls.  Think that GMC V-6 and V-12 had unique pattern, also.

Shannen