Carl Summers InnovativeTechnologies at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 16 17:02:28 GMT 1997

Rich Mauruschat wrote:

> >From: martin at mgass.demon.co.uk
> >Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 17:34:38 +0000
> >Subject: Re: oxygen sensor readings
>
> >On a vehicle with a closed loop system and cat what is the likely
> >effect of removing the cat and replacing it with a straight pipe ?
> >I reasoned as follows :
> >a) removing cat will alter back-pressure
> >b) back pressure alteration will affect air-fuel ratio.
> >c) in a closed loop system the lambda will detect the alteration of
> >air-fuel ratio and instruct the intake to correct ?
> >d) this may cause a gain or lowering of power and torque depent on
> >the engines characteristics.
> >e) What effect will the EGR valve now have if deployed by the ECU ?
>
> Martin,
> My opinions as follows;
> a)      Yes possibly to some extent, may not be very significant compared to
> whole exhaust system, modern catalysts don't appear to be as restrictive as
> they used to be provided they are designed and sized correctly. ??is this
> still true with turbo applications??
>
> b)      I'm not sure this is strictly true, the back pressure variation
> which may occur will affect the ability of the engine to breath, it need not
> affect the afr.
> ??anyone any comments or experience on this??

Anything with more than 1 degree of overlap @.050" will see different
scavenging levels depending on exhaust system...and on a speed density
system this will cause a different A/F ratio....
Also regarding the egr function with less backpressure,,,,the OBD 2
systems will turn on the check engine light if you remove the cat and
don't rework the EGR tables in the chip....you can however change it
mechanically by getting a "universal" EGR valve, check the size of
restrictor you are supposed to have in that year,make,model and simply
install a larger restrictor to allow more EGR compensating for the
backpressure loss in the exhaust system........
-Carl Summers