turbo sizing

Dave Morrill david.p.morrill at fairchildsemi.com
Wed Dec 17 18:59:06 GMT 1997

Steve,
	Not sure, but you guys may be barking up the wrong tree.  The reeds
should be able to seal with no problem.  I don't exhibit this problem at
all, I have a significant power improvement from 8 to 15 pounds boost.
Yes, this is seat of the pants.  I won't be able to set up a dyno run
until 2 weeks from now, but you can really REALLY feel the difference as
you turn up the boost.  I have stock reeds.

	My thoughts are that your turbo is undersized, or the A/R ratio is
wrong, or the turbo is overspeeding or surging, etc..   What are you
using for a turbo?  The only other problem you may be having is fuel
delivery.  Are you raising fuel pressure with boost, or leaving it
constant?  Do you monitor EGT?

	Here are my CFM calcs for the ZRT800 engine:
	at 45degrees F, sea level
stock  201
8lbs   315
10lbs  332
12lbs  350
14lbs  365
15lbs  373

	What may be happening is that your turbo may be just big enough to run
at a reasonable efficiency at 300cfm, but as you go higher on boost, you
are below 60% and you get too much air heating, or the compressor is
surging.
	At 15lbs boost, the air is heated from 45 to 211 degrees at 65%
compressor efficiency, at 45% it gets heated to 285 degrees and you drop
to 336 cfm, from 373.

	Do you have the compressor map?  I would be interested in comparing
your cfm numbers.

Best,
	Dave.