FWD vs. RWD patterns

Sketch sketch at r34h11.res.gatech.edu
Thu Dec 18 16:24:19 GMT 1997

> Chevy bolt pattern.  I know the truck 2.8L is not exactly the same as the
> passenger car 2.8L although they were very similar (cast iron heads vs.
> aluminum, etc.)  I could be wrong.
>
> I would really appreciate a photo of the 2.8L and 2.5L 700-R4 bellhousing
> pattern.  As I said, all of the information, Technicians manuals,  and
> drawings that I have avaialble (which is pretty limited before 1987) and
> may not be all inclusive show only a Chevy RWD bolt pattern on the 700-R4.
> I would like to see what this pattern really is if it is a FWD pattern or a
> modified Chevy RWD.

The aluminum heads were introduced on later FWD 2.8's, they originally
used the same cast iron heads as the RWD version.  The differences were in
the block.  They have the starter mount on opposite sides, and a
difference or two in the motor/accessory mounts.  Like everyone else, I'm
not sure if they have the same bellhousing bolt pattern or not.

I was looking at my Chevy Power Catalog (5th Ed.) yesterday, at the
aluminum Bowtie block.  They mention that it has starter mounts on both
sides, and all of the motor mounts necessary to be used in either FWD or
RWD applications.  They do not mention anything about the bolt pattern
being different, or drilled for both, so I would expect that means there
is only one.  Of course, that doesn't mean I'm right...but now that I
think about it, I do recall reading that the RWD 3.4 will bolt up to a GM
transaxle if you get the starter out of the way.

C'ya    |  86 Fiero SE 2.8 V6   |  Space Coast Fieros
Sketch  |  Daytona Beach, FL    |  Florida Fiero Council

Florida Fiero Council & Online Service Guide:
http://apollo.pacificweb.net/~sketch/