305 from hell was Re: MAP+fuel maps

Andris Skulte askulte at emerald.tufts.edu
Thu Dec 18 21:38:01 GMT 1997

Squash wrote:

> If you have never lifted a valve cover, than how do you know its HP and
> torque?  A rear-wheel dyno?

Yes... Dynojet 248C. The rear wheel numbers are 274.2hp and 398.6
ft-lbs. I used the usual 15% driveline loss to get the big numbers in my
sig :)

> I can't think of any modified 305 that i
> have ever even read about that has 475 ft/lbs.  Do you have traction
> problems at the strip?  I am very curious.

Why, yes, I do :) I launch around 2700 rpms, ease it out, the roll the
gas on. It starts spinning again at 4000 rpms, and spins into second. I
might try some drag radials next season, but I'm afraid of leaving my
rear end on the strip :p

>>torque is daaang aggressive..that is why i have a 454 in my truck.  How
many miles does that engine have?

90,000 original miles :)

>>  I really think that you might be
robbing peter to pay paul by selling the headers.  Turbos like headers.

Problem is the turbos need a custom header setup, since the turbos are
mounted near the alt+AC compressor... I'll attempt to make my own
headers out of weldels (ala Callaway twin turbo...) since I can't afford
a shop to make me a custom set for $800... Never too late to learn a new
skill :)

>>Do you already have forged pistons?  If so, then go for it.  I had just
assumed that you were doing a rebuild.

Nope. Stock bottom end :p I'm limiting boost to 8 lbs since I doubt the
stock block can take more than 450. Who wants to take bets on how long
the engine will last?

Andris - torque is good, more is better :)