safety...in - line fuel pump

Joe Boucher BoucherJC at lmtas.lmco.com
Fri Dec 19 16:47:59 GMT 1997

sfg wrote:

> I am running an in line fuel pump on
> my '97 TBI Blazer (reasons posted earlier)
> If I have a crash, I'm afraid the pump would continue
> to run because it is connected to the ign accy
> ckt. Does the in-tank pump shut down when the
> ign is ON, and engine stopped? If so, maybe
> I should use that ckt. Will the fuel pump relay handle
> the added load? (of a Mallory 4060FI gearotor pump)
> Steve

My '89 system uses the oil pump switch somehow.  The pump comes on and
runs for two seconds when the switch is turned to the on position.  If
your pump requires more than the relay handles, can't you get a relay
with a larger current capacity?

I would do something.  I agree you have an unsafe situation on your
hands.

Joe Boucher
'70 RS/SS Camaro  '81 TBI Suburban