safety...in - line fuel pump

Terry Hartman txhartma at spd.dsccc.com
Sat Dec 20 15:10:54 GMT 1997

> From: Joe Boucher <BoucherJC at lmtas.lmco.com>
> Subject: Re: safety...in - line  fuel  pump
>
> sfg wrote:
> >
> > I am running an in line fuel pump on
> > my '97 TBI Blazer (reasons posted earlier)
> > If I have a crash, I'm afraid the pump would continue
> > to run because it is connected to the ign accy
> > ckt. Does the in-tank pump shut down when the
> > ign is ON, and engine stopped? If so, maybe
> > I should use that ckt. Will the fuel pump relay handle
> > the added load? (of a Mallory 4060FI gearotor pump)
> > Steve
>
> My '89 system uses the oil pump switch somehow.  The pump comes on and
> runs for two seconds when the switch is turned to the on position.  If
> your pump requires more than the relay handles, can't you get a relay
> with a larger current capacity?
>
> I would do something.  I agree you have an unsafe situation on your
> hands.
>
> Joe Boucher
> '70 RS/SS Camaro  '81 TBI Suburban

What I did for my extra in-line pump was to add a relay just for
the extra pump.  I triggered the relay off of the stock wire
to the in-tank pump, then I ran a hot wire direct from the batter
to the in-line pump.  This way - when the stock in-tank pump is
triggered (to prime for 2 seconds, etc) the in-line pump will
also turn on....   So, in a nutshell, it basically operates
just like the in-tank pump...

HTH,

T.
--
Terry Hartman in Sachse, Tx     '87 5.7L GTA Trans Am
txhartma at spd.dsccc.com           12.96 at 108