DIY_ABS...

Land Shark lndshrk at xmission.com
Mon Feb 3 03:51:01 GMT 1997

At 22:24 2/2/97 -0500, you wrote:

>What's neat about most of the ABS systems on vehicles today is that its a
>seperate embedded system from the engine computer and other related items,
>therefore, if you really, really want ABS, you can use the
>hubs/spindles/brake brake assemblies from the donor vehicle, retrofit them to
>your own, and the job is pretty much complete.

 Except for two things..

 1) The programming will most likely be ALL wrong for the weight of the vehicle
    decel rates, slip angles, etc..

 2) Most ABS units have all the code internal to uP so there is no replaceable
    EPROM to tweak.

 I think DIY_ABS is only useful if accompanied by DIY_EjectionSeat

 <grin>

 Jim

 PS: That's not to say that we couldnt design a controller in our sleep, just
     that my attorney would be up nites thinking of the liablity