DIY_ABS...

FJB203 at aol.com FJB203 at aol.com
Mon Feb 3 12:54:11 GMT 1997

>   1) The programming will most likely be ALL wrong for the weight of the
> vehicle
>      decel rates, slip angles, etc..

Good point Jim, however by my statement of "leaching ABS" I meant to imply
that one would be smart about it.  Obviously the ABS off a Toyota Tercel
would not be suitable for a 1400 hp twin-turbo'd 3500lb street racer.
 Proportion Valving might have to be changed, as would a few other things,
I'm sure.

>   2) Most ABS units have all the code internal to uP so there is no
> replaceable
>      EPROM to tweak.

There really isn't that much to it... ABS vibrates the brake caliper
cylinders if a wheel is borderline-sticking, or if there is a certain amount
of pressure in the hydraulic system due to "foot pressure".  Definately much
more simplistic than EFI.

>   I think DIY_ABS is only useful if accompanied by DIY_EjectionSeat

Ouch, but that's fair!  And probably DIY_Parachute, and DIY_AssPillow for
those really soft, comfy landings <G>.

>   PS: That's not to say that we couldnt design a controller in our sleep,
> just
>       that my attorney would be up nites thinking of the liablity

At $125 an hour, he better! LOL

Fred