Radiator hose intake manifold

Daniel Burk ws6transam at voyager.net
Wed Feb 5 02:22:11 GMT 1997

Egil:

I have seen two wire reinforced radiator hose intakes, and neither
system lent themselves to good performance.  We built one and nick-named
it the "Squid".  The thing would squirm all over the place.  When the
throttle plates would close, the squid would constrict itself and
shorten it's length a good two inches.  When the throttle plates would
knock open, the squid would release it's energy and uncoil. Tuning the
intake was impossible!

Not only that, the squid would build up this oscillation during idle and
do a go-go dance, where it would contract, then release, and contract
again.  Idle speed was NEVER constant, as this jumping around would
cause the engine to jump 200 RPM or so in time with the dancing.

Of course, with all this movement of the rubber, the squid would work
it's way off the aluminum adapter, and cause a 41mm wide vacuum leak to
suddenly appear.  This REALLY screwed up the throttle response!

Go ahead with the radiator hose design, but be prepared for some very
dynamic phenomena. Personally, I'd use sheet metal, or some very ugly
fiberglass.

Cheers, mate!
		-- Dan
			[ '84 Pontiac Trans Am ex-commuter car ]