gearwheel encodjng

Ross Forgione ross at apdata.com.au
Wed Feb 5 03:27:29 GMT 1997

This is not my area of expertise, but during the course of my normal day to
day employment I come across large band printers which have rotary encoders
on their carrige motors. These encoders use a standard "H" block Sensor to
detect gap/no gap. As it is optical, you donot suffer from the physical
parameters mentioned below. However, can anybody comment on how suseptible
to noise this arrangement may be.

Ah one important thing to mention, is that these units are sealed quite
well so dirt, grease etc should not present a big problem.

I am not shure what the pulse count per revolution is (I know its lots) but
I will check this out. I need to rat through the old printer bits room.

Ross