O2 Sensor Replacement

kleenair at ix.netcom.com kleenair at ix.netcom.com
Thu Feb 6 13:12:36 GMT 1997

Loyd Bonecutter wrote:

> I've heard low O2 cross counts between frames was the way to detect a lazy
> sensor.  Have never seen the high and low reading deviate as much as
> sugguested below, but I've never used a volt meter,  just the voltages
> indicated on an OTC 2000.  Should I rethink this position ?  Maybe I need a
> fresh O2 sensor !
>
> Loyd Bonecutter

The strength and cross count both depend on the sensor, and the behavior
of the system as a whole.  But I can tell you from experience on late
model domestic cars that the .15 to ~.85 volt range is normal across the
board.

Also, your method of diagnostic (looking at cross counts) is perfectly
fine.  In most cases the sensors slow down in response long before they
alter their high and low limit characteristics.

Best Regards, Mazda