Dwell time as a %

G.Buckle gb at perthpcug.org.au
Wed Feb 12 05:58:47 GMT 1997

, but I thought that coils will
>saturate after a certain time, meaning they will only store a fixed
>amount of energy.  The time taken to store this energy (reach magnetic
>saturation) is a function of supply voltage.  Therefore if you want
>say 50% dwell, and saturation at 13.5V is reached at say 5ms, then
>your dwell time is 2.5ms.  Can anyone confirm this?
>
>Andrew Rabbitt

I am new to this forum but...

The time taken for a coil to saturate with to a given voltage is a function
of the voltage and the amount of energy it can store. This is expressed in
"Henrys", or mH for 1/1000 of one...

(similar to thinking of how long it takes to fill a bucket.)

If you got right into it you'd probably have to factor in the supply voltage
resistance and copper losses (DC resistance of the coil metal).

Does anybody know if it is possible to use the "learning" Chev injection
system on a 6 cyl engine, and is this easily done? The EFI systems we have
here are not full time closed loop. I believe the Chev one is...