Installation of EFI in early Mustang

Mike Topping mtopping at qualcomm.com
Thu Feb 13 21:19:15 GMT 1997

I think I will broaden this reply to include the DYI-EFI group and solicit
help from any and all with something to add:

background:  questions to Ken about a first time installation of late model
mustang EFI into an early ford mustang

You wrote:

(You should use an '89 or later computer because it's a mass air system
as opposed to the early speed density ECUs.  The mass air system
willcompensate for any performance modifications that you may make to the
engine.)
(It's been my experience that you have to run the oxygen sensors, air
temp sensor, engine coolant temperature sensor, MAP (manifold pressure
sensor), mass air flow sensor.  On my race car I don't run oxygen
sensors, EGR or Thermactor.  I have a rich idle problem (lack of oxygen
sensors will usually make it idle rich) but I don't care about it that
much.  For a street car you would though.)
(A friend of mine just did an EFI swap into a '67.  He used a COBRA ECU
and 24 lbs injectors (He ran the EGR but no Thermactor) on a very
healthy 331 cubic inch engine.  It runs great.)

Yes,  I have an EEC IV computer and plan to use the ACT, ECT, TPS, MAF, ISC,
HEGO (O2) and MAP sensors (all are pretty much mandatory).  My question,
more specifically, is:  do I have to hook up the TAB & TAD solenoids and the
EGR sensor (even if I do nothing with the vacumm lines they control) or will
the computer care if it "sees" nothing at these connection points on the
harness (thus allowing me to have a "sanitary" looking harness setup).
Also, is the EGR plate needed or can one just run the throttle body straight
into the upper manifold.  Finally, any experience in bypassing the WOT A/C
cutoff relay and what effects that has.  Ford Motor Sports hotline says I
have to use everything except the canister purge solenoid.

To date I have picked-up, used, a Ford Motor Sport SVO 5.0 short block
(aprox 500 miles on it - cross hatching still visible on cylinder walls)
with the Steeda #19 cam, a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads and an entire
spare (high milage) engine/trans with all accessories (intakes, AC,
alternator,themactor, harnesses, sensors, etc) out of an '89 Mustang.  They
are going into a '65 Mustang FB. I plan to upgrade one section at a time,
i.e.:  swap block and heads, then do tranny upgrade to 5 speed, then add EFI
and controls.

Besides the above, I am looking for input concerning connection of
aftermarket coil, routing and type of fuel and return line used(type of
connectors, etc), type of fuel pump / regulator others have used, any
"gotcha's" to watch for, etc.

Mike Topping
RF Product Engineer
mtopping at qualcomm.com