Installation of EFI in early Mustang

Mike Topping mtopping at qualcomm.com
Fri Feb 14 17:08:34 GMT 1997

Hi James,  I got to thinking about our correspondence yesterday, i.e.: the
MAF and Throttle Body talk.  I think, from my all my reading (check out
those web sites) that the critical components for getting the right air/fuel
mix in a high output or "built" motor is the throttle body/manifold/head
setup and the ability of the controlling computer (its algorithms) to
"learn" the needs of the engine.  I know the EEC-IV from Ford is a very
adaptable computer - I have seen a Ford SVO 302 set-up with Edelbrock
aluminum heads, a hot cam, the GT40 intakes, a 75 mm throttle body and a
Vortech supercharger using the standard MAF (I believe) and it ran very well
- just a little "bumby" at idle.  I believe there are ways to program, or
override the default programming, of the EEC-IV also.  Can I get someone who
has put late model mustang EFI into earlier cars or into hot motors to comment?
Mike Topping
RF Product Engineer
mtopping at qualcomm.com
Ph:  619 651-0242