E4ME Carbs

Daniel Burk ws6transam at voyager.net
Mon Feb 17 23:33:34 GMT 1997

Frederic wrote:

> I've grown up with Holley's on everything I've owned until
> EFI hit my recent purchases, and quite honestly, probably wouldn't consider
> any of the other carbs out there to be a good product.  Why?  Because using
> one manufacturer with such good luck tends to draw loyalty.
>
> If the Holley's I've used over the years sucked, well, you'd see something
> else on my toys <G>.

Point taken.  My experience with Holley was a factory unit on a 1968
Chrysler New Yorker 440.  I got the car cheap because the wrong gasket
was used in teh rebuild, and it drained gas by the gallon into the
cylinders.  After that was fixed, I promptly blew up the power valve!
Then, there was the leaky front float bowl.  I tried to JB-weld it with
no success. (I should've bought a new one!)  Also, the choke didn't
work.

I lived with it for six months then sold the car.

I've had four quadrajets, however, and they all worked great.  One was a
retrofit onto a '65 Olds Dynamic 88, one was OEM on a '77 Olds Toronado,
one was a retrofit onto a '77 Camaro 305, and of course, my Trans Am has
the E4ME.  I bought a book on Qjet modifications, and learned how to
rebuild them.  I've never had a leaker (other than one caused by my own
stupidity) and they have always worked.  The T/A has gone 12 years and
125,000 miles with no problems.  It sports a rebuild, only because I
screwed up the threads on the original.  The first one still had
functional electronics.

I guess it IS kind of a brand loyalty thing much like the F*RD / GM
arguement.  ;)

Shall we duel?
	(or shall we 4BBL?)

I only object to the word "Abomination", because I've seen these things
perform admirably on many different cars.  This is my last input on this
thread.

	-- Dan