Non-DIYEFI/City Code Harassment

Aron Travis atravis at spacey.net
Wed Feb 19 03:37:47 GMT 1997

A fellow car nut(me) needs your help. Sorry it's non-EFI and not even a
 skinned knuckles type of topic- but I figure some of you must have had
 similar problems and could offer solutions for me and any other
 car nuts who might end up in my situation.
 I've talked to many people and had as many different inputs.
 You all seem to know what you are talking about (big butt smootch) so
 please help.....

 I'm being harassed by the 'code enforcement' goons from the city of Palm
 Bay,Fl.
 I have a '64 Galaxie street/strip car parked in my driveway and someone
 in the neighborhood doesn't like it-they keep complaing to the city.
 This car is registered, insured, and driveable. I was driving it approx.
 once every two weeks, but haven't since Christmas (because I'm
recovering
 from holiday bills-know what I mean?). It is ugly, usual faded
mismatched
 panels, but no dents or rustouts, etc. I like it but some jerk doesn't!

 Today I got my fourth visit from the city goons. The first two visits
 the guys said that as long as it was registered and insured all was ok.
 On the third visit the guy said that someone complained that there was
  six junk cars in my driveway and a bunch in my backyard. The guy had
 the guts to admit that the complaint was obviously malicious as six cars
 could not physically fit in my driveway and that he saw no cars or tire
 tracks in my backyard (I never had a car parked in my backyard).

 BUT....the fourth time (today) the guy was a real jerk and issued a
 citation and fine. Unfortunatly only my wife was home and he bullied her
 more than he could of me. He said that being registered, and insured was
 not good enough and that he thought it was not driveable, and that cars
 can't be up on blocks anyway.
 I have a very sloped driveway and I put two bricks under the cars tires.
 This is what the city moron called 'up on blocks'. The car is a
automatic
 and is in park, the parking brake works but I don't use it as I drive it
 so infrequently that it will size up, so I use the bricks as backup.

 Here are my thoughts at this point;
 There are many houses on my street that have nonrunning and
nonregistered
 cars parked in their driveways. I have talked to these people and they
 have never had any problems. The city code officers admitted that they
 only enforce these codes when there's a complaint- Isn't this selective
 enforcement when I'm the only one getting tickets?
 Is there any way I can find out who has been complaining about me?
 How can I make this stop in a permanent fashion? I've only lived here a
 year and a half!

 -Aron Travis-
 "slowing down the automotive frenzy-my hobby is not a crime!"
 P.S. The car has mufflers and I drive respectfully in the neighborhood,
 but I have taken the rear window out to fix some rust and replace the
 seal.