Non-DIYEFI/City Code Harassment

steve ravet steve at sun4c409.imes.com
Wed Feb 19 16:30:42 GMT 1997

>  Here are my thoughts at this point;
>  There are many houses on my street that have nonrunning and
> nonregistered
>  cars parked in their driveways. I have talked to these people and
>  they have never had any problems. The city code officers admitted
>  that they only enforce these codes when there's a complaint- Isn't
>  this selective enforcement when I'm the only one getting tickets?
>  Is there any way I can find out who has been complaining about me?
>  How can I make this stop in a permanent fashion? I've only lived
>  here a year and a half!

Aaron, clearly you aren't doing anything wrong, but
unfortunately, that doesn't mean you aren't breaking the law.  What
you need to do is look up the citation in the law books at your
library.  See how the city/county/whatever defines "junk cars", and
see if you fit the bill.  If you don't, point out to the judge
exactly what the definition is, and why it doesn't apply to you, and
it's over, case closed.  Like someone else said, drive the car to
your court appointment.  It doesn't sound like you'll have a problem
doing that, especially since the registration and all is current.  As
far as finding out who is complaining, you probably can't.  They
cited you for breaking a city ordinance, so the city is your accuser.
The city might not even know who complained, if it was anonymous.

Non-carborundum illegitimus  (or something like that)
"Don't let the bastards grind you down"

--steve