Methanol injectors..

Seth Allen n9540517 at cc.wwu.edu
Wed Feb 19 19:49:39 GMT 1997

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997 DemonTSi at aol.com wrote:

> Subject: Re: Methanol injectors..
>

> << There are pressure losses incerred with an intercooler, as well as larger
>  intake volume.  And intercoolers are far from cheap.  Cheapest I have
>  found is $250.  Intercooler core is even moer for a custom application,
>  even if you can weld aluminum ends on.  And I have to have additional
>  fuelling anyway, so why not kill two birds with one stone.
>   >>

> Ok...you're right. You do get pressure losses when running an intercooler.
> But I think the advantage of the IC is that it is static and always does its
> job without you having to worry about refilling anything. What kidn of temp
> drop can you expect to see when injecting alcohol? And how much does it cost,
> and how hard is it to run such a setup?
> Thanks...

The temperature drop depends on the kind of alcohol: the latent heats of
vaporization for methanol is 1180 kJ/kg, ethanol is 850... petrol is
around 200.  The alcohols also release oxygen when they burn, so they add
02 without really taking up much volume.  The boiling points vary for the
alcohols, but between the extra, free 02, the cooling and the needed
fuel, I really am interested.  The difficulty is in the corrosive
properties and the lack of lubrication to the pump  and injectors.
Another diy_efi subscriber has been helpful in exploring alcohols.  His
suggestion is ethanol with some lubricating additives.  I want to run
methanol for the higher heat of vaporization, but i might settle for
ethanol.

Sorry I couldn't answer everything. I am just learning myself.

Seth