Torque BS Filter ``

Seth Allen n9540517 at cc.wwu.edu
Sat Feb 22 02:56:32 GMT 1997

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, Gregory A. Parmer wrote:

> Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 18:34:14 -0600 (CST)
> From: Gregory A. Parmer <gparmer at acesag.auburn.edu>
> To: Fuel Injection List <diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu>
> Subject: Re: Torque BS Filter ``
>

> On Fri, 21 Feb 1997 jshapiro at bit-net.com wrote:
> > you're looking at a bogus or fudged graph.  HP and Torque will be
> > the same at 5250 RPM because of the mathematical relationship
> > between the two.
>
> Could you show me that relationship? That'd be a formula worth
> keeping in the notebook. I know I've seen responses about that
> before, so it's not worth cluttering the list...except to post
> the formula (directly to me, maybe?).
>
> -greg
> gparmer at acesag.auburn.edu

Okay, first the relationship is HP= Torque(in lb-ft)x RPM/5252.
Next, about the BS meter.  If you don't believe that a turbocharged 454
cubic inch V8 running in excess of one atmosphere of boost, on propane,
can't make more than 800 lb-ft of torque, then I would like to hear why.
Secondly, the torque figure was at a low rpm, and with the extremely low
valve lift, the rpm range was severly restricted.  I cannot tell you what
the hp was at 5252 rpm, but that was above the ordinary engine speed for
the application.

Seth Allen