More non-efi Horsepower stuff

Stuart Baly S.Baly at BoM.gov.au
Tue Feb 25 01:32:23 GMT 1997

>And then there was Mr. Fahrenheit.  He invented a mercury filled tube
>with some arbitrary hash marks.  In ice water the mercury column was at
>"32".  In boiling water it was at 212.  In his wife's mouth it was at 98.6
>(seriously).  It's really not all that bad.  We could be using furlongs,
>scruples and fortnights as a measurement system. <g>

I'd heard that 0 deg Fahrenheit was the freezing temperature of a saturated
salt solution, and 100 deg Fahrenheit was the temperature of a bull's
rectum (seriously!). Both stories would give much the same temperature
scale, I reckon. If I was Mrs. Fahrenheit, I'd make sure I had a go at it
before the bull did :-)

Three cheers for Lord Kelvin.

Stuart.