Horsepower

Dick Brewster dbrewste at ix.netcom.com
Tue Feb 25 04:20:27 GMT 1997

RABBITT_Andrew at mail.orbeng.com.au wrote:

> >Once a person understands that you are pretty much
> >limited to about 100%-110% volumetric efficiency for a naturally
> >aspirated street engine.
>
> 100-110% would have to be the extreeeeeme limit for a driveable street
> engine.  A good production engine (50 kW/Litre +) will only be about
> 90-95% VE max.  Anything more than this and I'd expect the torque
> curve to start looking like the Himalayas.  (assuming no VVT of
> course)
>
> Andrew Rabbitt

I pretty much agree for car engines. Some motorcycle engines are getting
up to 1.25 ft-lb /in^3 torque which must be over 100% volumetric
efficiency.  The curve I'm looking at now (Honda CBR600F3) has 75% of
it's peak torque at 4500 rpm and still has 85% of peak at 13,000 rpm.
It's actually a pretty wide torque band. Just think what they could do
with fuel injection.

--
Dick Brewster                          dbrewste@
                                   ix.netcom.com

Suzuki GSF1200S                    Honda CB700SC